After a morning of intense cleaning and we had a going away party for Joe and Libby. The party consisted of giving the children soda and dancing. Some of them are awesome dancers. It was pretty entertaining. I tried to add a video fo the kids dancing but the connection here is so slow that i just waited a half hour and then decided to cancel because it wasnt even half way through.
For my orientation I stayed until about 9 pm to see what the night caregivers do. The kids were fighting a lot and one of the older boys punched one of the little ones in the head really really hard. I was really angry at the older kid but it is hard to discipline and to stop them from fighting because I still can’t understand Swahili really well. One of the girls came downstairs and started to cry. I tried to talk to her and figure out what was going on but she wouldn’t talk and just kept sobbing. I just sat with her and hugged her and then I went and talked to the night worker because I was concerned that maybe the boys were doing something to her or someone was hurting her but the caregiver told me that she has a lot of anger and does that at night sometimes. I really wish there was more I could do for this girl but I have no idea what she has gone through and also can’t erase anything that has happened to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment