Monday, April 12, 2010

Kendwa, Zanzibar




















We spent the last three nights of our trip in Kendwa, a gorgeous beach in the northern part of the island. If you try to think of the perfect and most beautiful beach you can imagine this is the beach that would come to mind. I have never seen sand so white or water so clear blue. It was honestly breathtaking. I generally have a hard time sitting on a beach for hours at a time but the beach was so pretty that I wanted to sit there all day (even though I was mostly in the shade of the thatched cover).
The sun was so strong I ended up needing to buy a hat (my parents would be proud) which is something I would never have done but my skin was milky white and because I have been wearing conservative clothing here, hadn’t been exposed to sunlight in a while. I wore 50 spf and tried to stay out of the sun when it was strongest…since I am back to Moshi now I regret being so careful because I barely got any color.
Anyway…about more important things…the beach was super relaxing and while Cassie and I were eating lunch one day on the beach I saw a girl that had just been staying at the hostel, Iona, walk past. It was so good to see her. We all ate dinner together later that night and during dinner I looked over and noticed another girl that had stayed at the hostel about a month or two ago that had been my roommate. It seemed like such a big place until I ran into all of these people (which was super exciting).
At one point I was helping some local children and fisherman pull a huge net out of the ocean when I rasta man walked over to me with a pet monkey on a leash. The monkey was so cute and was like a puppy. He was jumping from person to person and swinging on the hammocks and falling face first into the sand. His owner let us play with him for as long as we wanted and told us to bring him back to him when we were done…so we got to babysit a monkey for a half hour-very interesting.
One of my favorite things about being at the beach was the amazing sunsets. It was wonderful to be able to sit there with my feet in the sand watching the sun come down.
The plane ride back was miserable…I was drenched in sweat and thought I was going to pass out from the heat. The left side of the plane was vibrating the entire ride…I couldn’t read because the vibration of my seat made me feel nauseous when trying to focus on words. Luckily, we landed safely and I felt better as soon as I got off of the plane and got some fresh air. Anna and Josh were waiting for us at the airport with their new car! It was a perfect end to a perfect vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment