Wednesday, February 3, 2010

lake manyara national park















This weekend I went to Lake Manyara with some of the kids from the hostel. After a bouncy two hour bus ride to Arusha we took a three hour daladala to Lake Manyara. Upon arriving we were swarmed by locals trying to sell us their Masaai statues and offering to show us around. We eventually found someone to take us in a van around the park, although every few minutes the car would stall out and he would have to restart it. He took us on safari for an afternoon and we were able to see elephants, zebras, hippos, giraffes, baboons (a lot of them), flamingos, warthogs, etc. It was really amazing. I think I was spoiled by the south African safari though because there we were able to go right up next to the animals but here we have to stay on the road. Nonetheless I was still fascinated by all of the animals. We stayed at a campsite on top of a mountain overlooking Lake Manyara. The view was absolutely breathtaking!! Sleeping in a tent (although not as comfortable as my bed) was very nice because it was cool at night and I didn’t wake up sweating profusely. We were able to do all of this in under 75 US dollars. I am excited to come back to this place and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment